Innovation backed by speed is fundamental for organizations of all sizes today. In these times of consistent digital change, each organization must be ready to innovate from time to time. And low coding is some such innovation. Gone are the days when coders’ speed of working as a mental trauma for the business heads. All they now need is low code development platforms.
So then WHAT IS A LOW-CODING PLATFORM? It is nothing but an advanced form of an application with a Graphical User Interface for generating programming.
In short, at the low code app development platforms, the coding happens very fast thereby reducing time and enhancing efforts by reducing hand-coding. As an add on besides quick coding, these platforms help in a quick setup as well as deployment.
The outcome is a diminished requirement for coding aptitude, less tension in the IT group, and greater deftness in the business scene. No wonder, Low Code Open Source App Development Platforms are catching up so fast that one of the top global research and advisory firms, Gartner has predicted, the low code development market would have captured 23% of the global applications development market space.
Low-Code vs No-Code: What Are The Key Differences?
Low-code development software is used by skilled developers, just to design applications quickly by using in-built shortcuts and doing minimal hand-coding. The developer just has to drag and drop visual blocks of existing codes and create apps.
While the no-code development no formal training in coding or development is needed. There are pre-set tools that are to be used to create applications. The most common example of no coding platforms is popular blogging or website design platforms with pre-built pages, designs, themes, etc where you just need to assemble all of your choices.
How Low Code Development Boosts Your Business?
Enhances Speed to Reduce Work Backlog
By using an open source low code platform, one can work on multiple apps at the same time, thereby bringing down the time of work to hours, rather than days or months.
Simplified Integrations and One-Click Deployment
With low-code, a solitary click is everything necessary to start integrating what you need for your application to creation. Thus, the dispatch day is no longer a nerve-wracking experience.
Modern & Transparent Architecture
This architecture by the end of each click shows you results in real-time, that help you improvise the development process in real-time.
Glitch-Free, Low-Risk Deployments
At low code platforms, robust security, quick data integration, and above all cross-platform support are a built-in advantage. Moreover, these can be easily customized. Meaning, less risk and high innovation.
Because you pay for the access to the service and not the staff. And when the work is done faster, you save with both ends and both hands too!
12 Best Open Source Low-Code Platforms in 2022
Have a look on some of the open-source low code app builders with listed features, demo and pricing.
Joget is an open source low-code platform designed to accelerate and simplify digital transformation. Joget is a simple and flexible open platform that combines the best of business process automation, workflow management, and rapid application development. Visual and web-based, non-programmers can instantly build and maintain apps anytime, anywhere. Joget makes it easy for non-programmers and programmers to create enterprise applications for customer management, superior operations, business process management, and management.
- The app generator feature is unique in that it will generate your app in minutes.
- Compatible with PWA (Progressive Web Apps) and cloud compatible
- From beautiful UX-inspired material design to app performance monitoring, this app has everything (APM).
- A simple Tensorflow AI decision plugin that can run pre-trained Tensorflow AI models for decision making.
- Extensibility is provided by add-on builders such as Report Builder for managing reports and API Builder for managing APIs for integration.
- Automatic behind-the-scenes integration with Git.
- Modular plugin architecture.
PRICING comes with three pricing range
a) Community Edition-Free
b) Professional Edition $ 80.00
c) Enterprise Edition from 120,001 users annually
Convertigo Community Edition is an open source, full-stack, low code, no-code platform. With this platform, you can build and run complex cross-platform enterprise mobile and web apps in days. The Convertigo server, Studio, and third-party SDKs are one of the components of the platform. Convertigo is an open source low-code development platform that combines fast cross-platform mobile development tools with robust MBaaS to provide a secure and scalable all-in-one solution. It provides sophisticated back-end support and middleware optimized for mobility.
- The layout of Convertigo is great.
- By developing low-code platform applications, enterprises can achieve business success faster.
- Convertigo software provides user-friendly and efficient management, so you can focus on what’s most important.
- Convert any web application to a native desktop application for Windows, Linux, or Mac OS X. Convertigo’s support is great and very helpful.
PRICING: Convertigo offers three pricing tiers ranging from $0 to $200. Convertigo also offers a free trial period.
1. Community Edition can be used free of charge with a single purchase.
2. Standard edition from € 150.00. 10 users every month
3. Enterprise Edition starts from € 200.00 per month for 10 users.
Budibase is the latest free low-code development platform source web app builder that allows you to build, host, and manage your applications. Budibase eliminates repetition and significantly reduces development time. You can use Bud base to create internal tools, business apps, forms, and even Slack notifications. The best part is that Budibase is free open source software. As a result, you can connect to REST APIs and SQL, or start from scratch. You can improve your productivity and business efficiency by making it easy to build business applications and internal tools using this platform.
- The Budibase development platform helps deliver true business value by accelerating the development and deployment of apps and internal tools.
- You can easily extend the applications you build on the platform and reduce the technical debt that would be incurred if you were coded like any other platform.
- A combination of high-quality developer experience (DX) with an end-user performance focus.
- This platform is a well-documented and hard-working community for all developers and IT professionals who are fed up with the slow and iterative process of building apps and internal tools.
- Allows users to delegate access control to other users.
PRICING: There are three pricing editions.
• Budibase Cloud will be hosted forever for free
• Open source, self-hosted, permanent free
• Self-hosted enterprise pricing flexibility
It is a Portuguese low code platform that provides app creation at an unbeatable speed.
- Latest security and integration with any system.
- Real-time reporting.
- Full access control & permission across any formats of devices used.
- Via APIs, this development is completely scalable and also has native support for quick App/Web Development.
- Total DevOps automation.
- Not just App deployment, but quick monitoring as well.
PRICING: One of the topmost valued in terms of money. Though it offers a free forever plan, the basic plan starts from $4000 and allows custom offers in Low Code Enterprise plan stands at $1000 per month.
5. Visual LANSA
LANSA low coding creates enterprise apps, which can be used across various interfaces like the desktop, web as well as a mobile phone. In short, it is one of the most productive and most popular open-source low code development platforms across the world, used by top companies.
- Unique and strong low-code IDE that makes desktop, web as well as mobile apps creation very fast, easier and at a very low cost
- Its extensive testing, deployment and integration management is beyond words
- It provides you access to even code inside the IDE, thereby making customization beyond imagination.
- It is the only low-code development that can run on all platforms – the IBMi, Windows, and the web.
PRICING: It ranges from $8.34 per user/month to $17 per user/month
6. Zoho Creator
Zoho is a cross-platform open-source low code platform app builder via which native mobile applications can be created in a jiffy. You create an app here and can access them via various platforms, be it your iOS or an Android device or others.
- Instant access to apps across various platforms
- Uncompromised security
- Insightful and effortless reports creation
- Easy collaboration across teams via connecting business data. Thus, making online inventory and order management a very smooth process.
PRICING: Post the free-trial period the plans range from $10 to $30 per user per month as per the BASIC or PREMIUM facilities.
This one of the most sought-after Open Source Low Code Development platforms boasts of its ability to create an App in 3 minutes; that too even if you have no technical knowledge. It comes from none other than Appian Corp. (a cloud computing company).
- Easy to configure APIs
- Unbelievably faster integration
- Customizable templates & predefined interfaces
- High end-to-end cybersecurity
PRICING: Post the free 30-day trial period, you will have to dole out $75 per month (Application Edition) or $150 per month (Enterprise Low Code Edition)
It is actually named KiSSFLOW– BPM & Workflow Software, And the name itself means that you can not only create customized apps but also automate business processes.
- Kissflow comes with 45 pre-installed apps which can be customized to suit your needs.
- No coding needed; simply drag and drop to add/edit features of your app.
- Even addition of tasks and logic is drag and drop away
- Has options to digitize all requests/forms
- A cloud-based solution for any kind of business/industry; size doesn’t matter.
PRICING: Plan starts from $9 per user per month
9. Salesforce Lightning
One of the cheapest and quickest in the market which made the rapid digital transformation, stylish application building and accelerated app deployment a dream come true, at great speed.
- Customise anything as per choice
- Salesforce lightening is faster than any other platforms due to ‘Lightning Process Builder’
- An IT developer’s first choice due to the simple and quick interface. Also due to NO CODE options integration
PRICING: Plans range from $20 to $100 per user/month
Appsheet comes with a tagline – NO CODE App maker. And many sample apps addons like barcode-scanner come free with it.
- Anyone and everyone can build an App, without prior IT tech knowledge
- Easy to develop, integrate and deploy cross-platform apps in real-time.
- Easy to integrate GPS & maps, barcode scanner, email notifications, image capture, etc in the same app
- It provides offline access
- Allows adding your brand to the app
PRICING: It can be accessed for free through Google Sheets and Excel. Paid plans are very affordable- just $ 5 to $10 per user per month
It is an American low code development platform that offers both low code and no-code options and was simply designed to accelerate app delivery by using both kinds of app development side by side.
- Each developer gets a Customized IDE
- Has a built-in React Native framework
- Drag & drop pre-defined templates to create app designs
- You can even extend web solutions built on Mendix by using API’s
- Its Atlas UI Framework enhances the user experience
- Mendix has offline working capabilities as well as reusable components
PRICING: The only flipside of Mendix is its pricing plans. After the free trial period, you dole out a whopping $1,875 per month to $7825 per month depending on whether it is a BASIC edition or an Enterprise Low Code edition.
The USP of this platform is that it can create any app for any task. You can use it anywhere – on-premises or in the cloud, on a desktop or on the web browsers, on an iPad or on an Android.
- Filemaker is one of the most flexible apps creating a solution.
- Comes with a streamlined, customer-friendly user interface.
- Not just drag or drop, you can even copy-paste custom menus.
- Multiple email attachments can be used here.
PRICING: $10 to $15 per user per month as per the number of members in the development team.
Assuming you need to work on your computerized activities, fill in for the absence of IT abilities, or lift effectiveness, then open-source low code development will help you manage each of these with elan. Do write to us if you have any queries, we will be happy to help.