John is a software developer who spends an average of 10 to 30 minutes in debugging the program each time! Yes, it is depending upon the laptop processor and the SDK you are working on. If the laptop processor is fast, the less time will it take to debug and process the codes and will result in higher programming speed. In this case, John is spending more time seating idle to see the laptop processing his code and less time in programming. John is now thinking to upgrade his laptop but which system should he buy for programming that can improve his efficiency?
Are you a software developer like John who is doing programming? Have you recently started learning to program and planning to buy a new laptop for it? Are you also looking to answer this question; which laptop should I buy for software development? Hold on, before you buy any high configuration laptop, I strongly recommend you to learn about these important points a software developer should consider while buying a new laptop for programming.
Computer programmers contribute to various technical developments. They deal with the software within a computer to bring out something very useful for mankind. But, they also face various challenges while they proceed for various computer programs, games, and apps development. One of the difficulties which they have been facing is the use of the poor configuration of the laptop. Thus, it is a must for them to get the best laptop which comes with the highest configuration. We will discuss some of the best laptops for programming for developers.
Problems Faced by Programmer while Using Laptops
Due to the low configuration of laptops, software developers may suffer from some typical issues. Few of them are as follows:
- The system start-up becomes extremely slow on the laptop. Loading drivers, booting, etc takes a lot of time. The computer programmers won’t get such a long time to waste and then start their work on the laptop.
- Another issue which they face is the fragmented hard disk drive on the laptop. Some companies do this to reduce the cost of the laptop or desktop. But, ultimately the user must suffer. Yes, due to a fragmented hard drive, the laptop becomes extremely slow. Some operating systems also started giving bad pool header BSOD errors that may cause an issue to boot the system.
- Sometimes page file so configured may be done incorrectly. This will give rise to several error messages. As a result, there arises a variety of issues even with the window’s page file on your laptop.
- A network issue is another problem with the poor configuration of the laptop. There may not be a direct impact of the network speed on the laptop. But, still there are some disruption with the download of files. This is because the reception is disturbed.
- One of the major concerns in laptops and desktop now a day is protection. You may find many viruses and spyware getting to your laptop while you are using the internet on a regular basis. If you are using laptops with good configuration, the firewall will be strong. Thus, your computer is safe. But, if the configuration of your computer is low, this can give rise to a virus attack. Naturally, your important files and folders will be corrupted.
Read on to find out the best laptop for programming for software developers.
What facts should I consider before Buying the Best Laptop for Programming?
You must keep a note of the following factors while buying a laptop for programming purpose:-
You are surely aware of the term, ‘screen resolution’. This is an important fact to consider while you are buying a laptop for programming. If the pixel does not divide evenly into very large picture files, this means the screen quality is good for the laptop.
The CPU is always going to be a major concern when buying your laptop for programming. Due to upgrades in technology the previous configuration of the CPU has changed. The core has got many upgrades. Today, you will find up to 15 cores in top laptops that you can use for programming.
You must be aware that the latest laptop and desktop comes with greater RAM. Previously only 1- 2 RAM was enough. But today, people are using laptops for various purposes. Graphics and programming make the laptops heavily charged. Thus, greater RAM such as 4GB, 6GB, or 8GB is needed to make it the best laptop for programming for developers.
The external ports help the other files and folders to be viewed on your laptop. In some of the older laptops, you can see that the external ports are very less. But, in today’s day, there are many upgraded laptops where the ports will be adequate. You can connect stuff like your internet device, pen drive, speaker, etc with these external ports to your laptop.
Hard Disk Type
Nowadays SSD hard disks are easily available in the market. It may increase your overall budget as compared to a normal hard disk but it may result in very good processing speed. If you are not looking for large storage, go for a 250GB SSD hard disk as compared to a 2TB normal hard disk.
|HP Spectre x360||Core i7 processor||8GB – 16 GB||13||More Info|
|Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme laptop||Intel Core i7 8th Gen i7-8750H||up to 63 GB||15.6||More Info|
|Microsoft Surface Pro 7||Intel Core i3-1005G1 Intel Core i5-1035G4 Intel Core i7-1065G7||4 GB to 16 GB||12.3||More Info|
|ASUSPRO P5440||Intel Core i7-8550U||16 GB||14.0||More Info|
|Lenovo ThinkPad E570||i5-7200U||8 GB||15.6||More Info|
|Dell Inspiron i5567-3655GRY||i5 - 7th Gen.||8 GB||15.6||More Info|
|Apple Mac Book Air New||i5||8 GB||13.3||More Info|
|i7||16 GB||15.4||More Info|
Now you are aware of the problem and things to consider while you buy a laptop but you also need to understand your requirement first. As each software developer or programmers have a different requirement and you really need to understand them by answering the below few questions:
- Higher processing will consume more battery hence what do you prefer? Best battery life or higher processing at the best budget?
- Do you travel a lot? If yes, you should also check for the weight. Do you prefer a lightweight and thin screen?
- Which operating system do you require? Windows, Mac, Ubuntu, etc..
- Which is your preferred screen size and resolution?
- Are you into a design like CAD, Visual art, Gaming, Photo Editing, Video Rendering? Make sure you are aware of the graphic card requirement. Choose the specification accordingly.
- Do you require a touch screen or other additional features?
- What is your budget?
Try to answer these questions first and it will solve your half the queries and will make your purchase decision easier.
List of best laptops for programming for software developer
This list of laptop comes with great configuration with a heavy price tag. You need to choose based on your requirement as mentioned in the above questionnaire.
1. HP Spectre x360
HP is a globally recognized brand that has earned a good reputation for making laptops for office use. HP laptops provide a decent look and feel for users. Now, let’s look at the key features of HP Spectre x360 to get a better idea about this laptop.
- Stylish look with Professional Touch
- Screen: 13.3″ FHD (1920 x 1080) AMOLED multitouch
- RAM: 8GB – 16GB
- Storage: 256GB – 2TB SSD
- CPU: 10th-generation Intel Core i5 – i7
- Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics
Spectre x360 comes with a lot of specification updates in 2020 with 10th Gen Intel processor and Intel Iris Plus Graphics. The laptop has a long battery life that is an advantage for programmers.
2. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme laptop
Lenovo is known for providing laptops across all ranges, suitable to every segment. Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme laptop is very well designed with an exclusive 4K screen to enjoy elegant graphics on the device. Below are some key features for Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme
- Screen: 15.6” FHD (1920 x 1080) – 15.6” 4K UHD HDR (3840 x 2160) multi-touch
- CPU: up to 8th-generation Intel Core i7
- Graphics: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050Ti with Max-Q design
- RAM: up to 64GB
- Storage: up to 1TB SSD
Overall, it delivers a great user experience for programmers with long battery life. It’s a premium laptop with high-end features, if budget is not an issue then this one could be a good purchase.
3. Microsoft Surface Pro 7
Microsoft started with the software, but the same is the case for now. Microsoft Surface series is quite popular among the office goers. Microsoft Surface Pro 7 is a slip and lightweight laptop which is easy to carry around. We have mentioned the necessary features below,
- Screen: 12.3” PixelSense Display
- Camera: 8MP rear-facing camera (1080p HD), auto-focus; 5MP front camera,
- CPU: Intel 10th-generation Core i3 – i7
- Graphics: Intel Iris Plus Graphics UHD Graphics
- RAM: 4GB – 16GB
- Storage: 128GB – 1TB
Quad-core processors and RAM up to 16 GB are more than enough to write and execute code smoothly.
This is one of the latest and best laptops for business use and programming manufactured by Asus which is known for its great mobility battery life and configuration. You will get this laptop in the latest variation. Yes, it comes with a core Core i7-8550U Processor and windows 10 pro-pre-installed operating system. Are you thinking about the price? This laptop manufactured by ASUS is very affordable.
14” Wideview Full HD Display, Intel Core i7-8550U Processor, 512GB SSD, 16GB RAM, NVIDIA MX130, Windows 10 Pro, Fingerprint, 10hrs Battery Life
- Design – People are too much inclined towards the design of a laptop before buying it. ASUSPRO P5440 Business Laptop did great justice to it. You will be amazed to know that, this Asus laptop comes with a 180-degree hinge.
- Processor – If you are the software developer looking for a laptop, the processor will be a primary concern to you. This one is available with Intel Core i7-8550U Processor.
- USB ports and other connectivity options – This Asus laptop comes with 2x USB 3.1 Type-A and one USB 3.1 Type-C, 802.11ac (2×2) Wi-Fi, HDMI, and SD card reader installed by default.
- For great performance, it comes with 16 GB RAM and a decent 512 GB SSD Storage
- It also has an Nvidia MX 130 discrete graphics packed in it and a 14.0″ FHD Display.
- The best part of this laptop is, battery life! Yes, even after great processing speed, this laptop gives 10 hours of battery life.
If you are looking for a mid-range business laptop to enhance your software development speed, this can be best choice for you.
5. Lenovo ThinkPad E570
Lenovo has upgraded its devices and brought Lenovo ThinkPad E570in the market with all superior functions. This one is available in different variations. For example, one of the variations has 8GB RAM and 120GB solid-state drive. Similarly, other variations are 500GB drive space. There are variations like 16 GB RAM and 240GB disk space. The best laptop for programming for developers here has to be chosen by you.
- Operating system- OS is an important part while considering a laptop. This one comes with Microsoft Windows 10 Pro x64.
- Processor- The programmers will take this feature at first. The Lenovo ThinkPad comes with an Intel dual-core processor
- RAM- You will get 8 GB RAM here and 256 GB HDD.
- Display- The screen size is quite big with the size of 15.6” HD. Viewing movies and graphics will be easy. Energy-efficient LED backlight.
- The performance will be perfect with Intel Dual Core i5-7200U Processor (2.5GHz – 3.1GHz, 3M Cache).
- Your device will always remain secure with a Fingerprint Sensor.
6. Dell Inspiron i5567-3655GRY
Dell is one of the best names among the branded laptops and desktops available in the market. The brand has the best laptop for programming for developers. You will get the best display as well as a processor from this brand.
- Processor- You get the latest processor with core i5 7th generation and Core i7. Best for game players.
- RAM- People concerned about the RAM will get an 8-16 GB enough DDR4 2400Mhz RAM.
- Storage-People need more storage as pictures have become better in resolution. You get this one with 1 TB space.
- 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080) Truelife LED-backlit on-cell touch Display.
7. New MacBook Air (2020)
Apple or MacBook is one of the brands which every individual or professional will be willing to avail of. This is the best brand in the market with regards to processor, speed, space, and display.
- Processor – The processor you will get over here is a 1.2GHz quad-core Core i7 processor with Turbo Boost upto 3.8GHz.
- Storage – This has the variation of 256 GB to 2TB SSD storage and Intel Iris Plus Graphics.
- RAM – upto 16GB is available.
- You will also get a 13″ retina display screen and macOS Catalina operating system.
If you are planning to buy a MacBook, you should also be aware of the force quite mac shortcuts. It will help you to kill the app easily while working on your development activities and the program gets hanged.
8. Apple MacBook Pro
This is the latest variation of the apple device which comes with RAM of 16GB, 256 GB to 512 GB SSD hard disk drive, and the touch bar. The graphics card is upgraded. The picture you can see here comes with a color widescreen.
- RAM- The RAM over here has 16 GB variation
- Storage- You will get enough storage with 1TB SSD
- With 2.3 GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 Processor and Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655
- Mac OS X and
- Brilliant Retina Display with True Tone technology
The above-mentioned laptops are the latest in variation when you compare the features. If you are a computer programmer, you should buy among this latest laptop to get the optimum output of your work input. Now it is easy for you to choose the best laptop for programming for developers as we have shortlisted the top ones for you. And for personal safety, you can use a webcam cover on your laptop.